Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore rusty outdoor furniture?

amandaprc
Just Starting Out

How to restore rusty outdoor furniture?

Hi! I'd like to restore these outdoor chairs but I've never done it before and I'd like to know how and what do I need for this. Hope you can help me :smile:

First issue is rust that needs to be removed. I was thinking about using a sanding sponge to remove all the rust and then applying Metalshield Steel Primer Spray. Do you think that is enough to fix it?

Second issue is that the upholstery is super dirty and stained. Do you think that a Britex Deep Cleaning Machine is enough to clean it?

Finally, is this rust toxic? Should I use a mask while sanding it?

I appreciate any tips you can give me. Thank you! Cheers

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 14.28.57.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 14.34.46.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 14.28.57 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 14.28.57 (4).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 14.28.57 (2).jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore rusty outdoor furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amandaprc. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring chairs.

It sounds like your plan is solid. Once the rust has been removed and the chrome of the legs scuffed up with your sanding sponge, apply Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey. This one is an etch primer and will likely adhere better to any remaining chrome than your selected one. Once dry, you'll need to apply a top coat over the primer, such as the Metalshield colours range.

If you are unable to remove all the rust, you might like to treat it with a rust convertor before priming.

The upholstery does not look great. The Britex upholstery cleaner will certainly improve it; just make sure you pick up the Britex 500ml Low-Foaming Upholstery Cleaner⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to go with it. You might like to pre-treat any stubborn marks with Vanish Preen 600g Gold 3in1 Deep Cleaning Carpet Foam.

Once you've finished cleaning the upholstery and if you intend to use them outside on your balcony, I recommend treating the fabric with 3M Scotchgard 297g Fabric And Upholstery Protector.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects