Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent pigeons nesting under solar panels?

Madden
Getting Established

How to prevent pigeons nesting under solar panels?

Scan_20231205.pngScan_20231205 (2).png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to prevent pigeons nesting under solar panels.

Hi @Madden 

I am  just about to tackle that eventuallity soon to as  solar  installation at he end of january.

You   said Your Proposed solar.   OK   easiest solution is to ask solar installer what preventative measures they can install at the same  time would be  best.

Failing that I am thinking black wire mesh under the  panel edges. Mounting it is is unknown and will depend on the solar installation frame work,  I will be helping my neighbour solve this hands on soon too,  Use short screws to avoid damage to internal  components.  Color bond self drill fence screws may lend itsalf to the task.

Sorry no  otherMay void  panel warrantyMay void panel warranty

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to prevent pigeons nesting under solar panels?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Madden. We trust you'll get loads of inspiration and advice for all your projects from our wonderful members.

This topic has come up a few times in the past. I would encourage you to check out the advice shared in these previous discussions:

Let me also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to see if he has any additional thoughts to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent pigeons nesting under solar panels.

Hello @Madden 

Thanks for sharing your question about preventing pigeons from nesting under your solar panels. I believe your first port of call should be your solar installer. They often have custom bird mesh purpose built for these kinds of situations. I agree with Jewelleryrescue that drilling into the panels should be done in great care as you don't want to damage any of the components inside.

However, if the installer has no mesh available, I suggest having a look at Jack 90cm x 30m 25 x 25mm Cage Mesh. It has a 25mm gap between wires and can be easily formed and cut with side cutters. If you do decide to install this on your own, I suggest speaking to the solar installer and ask them the best spot to drill into or if possible, to drill into the skirt of the panel thereby bypassing the insides of the panel.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear, @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Madden 

I like @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion and the idea I had in my mind was almost the same. I was going to suggest making a roll up of that sized plastic mesh and then wedge it under the edge of the solar panels, That way nothing is drilled and the springyness of the mesh will stop it blowing out from underneath the edge. 

I also agree with @Jewelleryrescue and @EricL that first port of call is asking the installers if they have a way to stop birds/pssums getting underneath.

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Dave-1 Just a word of caution that anything touching the underside of the panel that has the potential to move and cause wear or scratch could cause damage to the panel itself or the individual cells.

I would potentially look at cable tie panel mount and use a dab of silicon that way it shouldn't come off the face off the edge of the panel. Make sure to use white UV stabilised 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @CSParnell 

I was thinking more of the round basket deal being springy enough that it wouldnt shift and wouldnt potentially rub where the wires are. As in the ability to compress the cylinder would be hard so it would stay fixed in place. (Think putting your body pressure on uit and it would only compress part way deal)

lol to the cable tie mounts, oh yeah I can rem when I was an apprentice and someone kicked at a cable tied run next to a conveyour belt..... 400m later it stopped falling off like a line of dominos. Take a guess who had to fix it :smile:

Dave

Hi @Madden and all

What  do you all think  siliconing flat curflue (or  other) panels on the sides of the solar panels standing  vertical to the roof surface?

I suspect there will be a gap birds  may use at the tile edge (if the curflue is not cut to  tile profile).

Afternoon @Jewelleryrescue 

I like that idea! Just need some holes punched along the sides of the coreflute in it so the air can cuirculate under the panels but that would work well.

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

If you care about the longevity of your panels and systems then do not do the following:

Place anything that will press against the underside of the panels.

Close off airflow from under the panels this will effect power output and also potential hotspots or fire.

My last business development and previous company was Solar Panel Analysis for onsite installations which involved IR topography Land and Drone, IV curve measurements, Gloss Meter measurements, Electrolumenescence (xray images of panels), experiments laser measurement, and a whole other array of measurements. So trust me when I say you don't want to do this you really don't. 

Panels are fragile, they need airflow as they get extremely hot and they are producing electricity. If in doubt contact the panel manufacturer for advice, don't risk your investment or worse your house.

1000008938.jpg

1000008939.jpg

1000008940.jpg

1000008941.jpg

1000008942.jpg

1000008943.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects