Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracked terracotta pipe?

lego
Finding My Feet

How to fix cracked terracotta pipe?

IMG_6757.jpegI was trying to dig a tree stump out when directly under the tree runs this terracotta? Pipe. I think I cracked it when digging but not certain the damage I did was to this extent…

it doesn’t smell, it’s wet as I used the hose to clean so I could get a look. 
after running water down our drain I couldn’t hear any water running through this pipe so I suspect it may not be functional anymore. 

if I wanted to patch it up what’s the best way to go about it?

thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cracked terracotta pipe?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lego. It's to wonderful have you join us, and many thanks for your question about terracotta pipes.

The pipe would likely be your sewage or stormwater. Have someone flush your toilet and wait at the pipe to see if you hear any water. If you don't hear anything, get someone to run the hose into your gutter to see if water runs down the pipe. If it's an old disused pipe, patching it wouldn't be needed. If it is part of your pipework, then patching the area is likely out of the question as the section of pipe to the left, which will be around one metre long, needs to be replaced. The plumber you enlist to complete this work will likely replace the short damaged section with PVC pipe and couplings.

In accordance with the Australian Plumbing Code, only licensed plumbers are authorised to undertake plumbing or drainage work. While homeowners can handle minor tasks like changing a tap washer or replacing a shower head, ensuring strict safety standards and regulatory compliance is crucial. Enlist professional assistance for plumbing projects to safeguard your home and family.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks!

We did a test flushing the toilet and nothing came down the pipe. Same with running the hose down the roof gutters, nothing. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It sounds like it may be unused, @lego. Unfortunately, you'd likely have to employ a plumber to send a camera up it for confirmation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects