Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damage to render?

soulla
Finding My Feet

How to fix damage to render?

i have some damage on the render of an external wall [pls c pic]. i was wondering if it's something i can fix myself to save money?  i have no idea what's underneath the render.  if u have any suggestions, pls be specific with what i'd have to buy cos i'm not familiar with names of building products/tools.  thank u

render damage.jpg

Ready2go
Building a Reputation

Re: How to fix damage to render?

repairing these little bits is a good way to learn the basics. Bunnings do sell small bags of powdered render that you mix up with water. you'll want a trowel- a cheap Craftright one will do for this. I'd also recommend looking through youtube for some instruction videos, I find them easier to follow than written steps. 

the render should be in the building section of Bunnings, near the gyproc and flushing equipment and the staff there should be able to give you a few hints too.

Look at me, plugging Bunnings and I don't even work there!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @soulla. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing render.

It's great to see that @Ready2go has already been providing assistance.

You might like to use Polyfilla 500g Exterior Brick and Render Masonry as it comes in small quantities and would be ideal for this job. As mentioned, a trowel will come in handy, and you might like to pick up a small paintbrush to help stipple the surface and mimic the surrounding texture. Cut the bristles short so they are stiffer.

I'd recommend applying the product in two applications. First, use the trowel to apply the filler to the voids, build them up almost to where the surfaces should finish, and then allow the filler to dry. You can then apply your second coat, where you establish the corners and flat surfaces. These must finish flush with the surrounding areas. When you are happy with the outcome, allow it to firm up for 20 minutes, and then use your brush to stipple the surface if needed.

The filler will dry to a much lighter grey colour than the surrounding area. As it ages, it will become darker.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thank u so much for taking the trouble to help.

i'll give it a go.  all the best.

thank u Mitchell.  it makes sense.  it feels less daunting of a task now.  i'll try my luck :smile:

Regards,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Reach out again if you get stuck or have questions @soulla. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects