Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a porch?

syhsb
Just Starting Out

How to tile a porch?

Hi - I am undertaking a DIY project of tiling our outdoor porch. It is about 7sqm and I have some leftover Travertine tiles that I will be using for this project. I have laid them out in French pattern to check if I have enough inventory and I have more than what I need. About 4 tiles need a cut for which I will be using an angle grinder with a diamond cutter.

Questions:

1. What glue do I use to fix travertine tiles and if there is anyway for me to calculate how much glue would I need?

2. A small patch needs minor leveling. Can I use the glue itself to level this part as I am laying the tiles and creating an outward gradient for any rain water to quickly flow out in the lawn?

3. What is the maximum thickness of the glue that I can safely apply?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Appreciate your help here team. Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help with tiling my outdoor porch

Hello @syhsb 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about tiling your outdoor porch. 

Before we begin, can you please tell me the thickness of your tile? This will allow me to tell you how thick the adhesive should be and what tool you need to use to spread the adhesive. 

In regards to the adhesive, if you are going onto a plain concrete surface, I suggest using Dunlop 20kg Trade Resaflex. It has an estimated coverage of 13-square meters depending on the thickness of the spread.

In regards to the small patch, it might be possible to use adhesive as a filler, but it all depends on how big and deep this patch is. If it is more than 3mm I'm afraid the adhesive will not be able to compensate and you 'll need to use a self-levelling compound to fix the dip.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay floor tiles.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
syhsb
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric. This is super helpful. 

- Yes, the tiles will be laid on a plain concrete surface

- The depth of the surface that needs to be levelled at its deepest point is 3.5mm (closer to 4mm). Can you please suggest a self-levelling compound for that? It is an area of about 2sqm.

- The thickness of the tile is 12mm. This is the tile I will be using - https://www.naturalstonetiles.com.au/product/mocha-travertine-unfilled-tumbled/. Could you also recommend a grouting that I could use?

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @syhsb 

For the floor levelling compound, I suggest having a look at the Dingo 20kg Self-Levelling Cement. This is capable of filling a gap as low as 2mm so will be ideal for your project. If the tile is 12mm thick, I suggest using the QEP 12mm Square Notch Handyman Adhesive Trowel. This will provide the proper thickness and gaps between the adhesive form.

Using the adhesive trowel will create ridges and air channels on its surface form to allow air to come in and let moisture out when the adhesive is curing. Please don't forget your tile spacers, in regards to the grout, I recommend Dunlop 1.5kg Flexible Coloured Grout - Misty Grey along with Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer.

Using the sealer will extend the life of your grout and protect it from moss and mould infestation. My best advice is to have a spirit level handy so that you'll know that all the tiles are level. 

Make sure to give the adhesive enough time to cure so that your tiles will not pop off. Grouting too early will trap the moisture under the tile and will compromise the adhesive.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects